Mixed Berry Cream Tartlets
- 1/2 package Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Pie Crust*
- 10 tablespoons vegan butter cubed and chilled
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 1 14 oz can coconut cream
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup or sweetener of choice
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- zest of 1 lemon optional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- mixed berries
- powdered sugar to top (optional)
- mint to garnish (optional)
- With the back of a fork or a pastry cutter, cut cold vegan butter into Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Pie Crust mix until crumbly. Add ice water to mixture a few tablespoons at a time, tossing gently with a fork after each addition until evenly moistened. Spoon a few tablespoons of the mixture into each tart cavity and tamp down, making sure to bring some crust mixture up the sides. (For a larger tart, press dough into a ball, then turn out onto a piece of plastic wrap. Press into a disk, wrap, and chill for at least half an hour. Roll dough out between two pieces of plastic wrap, then transfer to 9" tart pan, press along the sides, and cut off excess.) Chill uncooked crusts for at least 30 minutes.
- During the last 10 minutes of chilling, preheat oven to 350°Bake chilled crust for 25-30 minutes, until slightly golden brown. After removing from the oven, allow to cool in the pans for a few minutes until cool enough to handle. Then, remove to a rack to cool entirely.
- In the meantime, heat coconut cream with maple syrup (adjust sweetness to taste), lemon zest and vanilla extract in a small saucepan over medium heat until liquefied. Whisk arrowroot powder into 2 tablespoons water to dissolve, then stir into coconut mixture.
- Heat mixture until thickened, whisking constantly, for 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat, and chill until fully-set.
- Spoon about a tablespoon of coconut cream mixture into each cooled tart shell. Top with fresh berries. Dust with powdered sugar and garnish with mint if desired.
You can check out the video tutorial for this recipe and two others on YouTube! I created the video in collaboration with Bob’s Red Mill .