If you’re trying to up your protein game and you want some quick and easy meals to do so, these High-Protein Vegan Breakfast Tacos are for you.
Made with simple, easy-to-find ingredients, these tacos are made mostly every morning in our house when we come back from working out.
What I Love About These Tacos
A few weeks back I realized that Eric and I could really benefit from having a consistent, repeatable, high-protein breakfast option. We’ve been back at the gym consistently and trying to add extra protein into our diets but breakfast is always a slog for us.
So I wanted to come up with a meal that we could eat most days after our workout. These breakfast tacos are perfect because they’re delicious, they’re really easy to make, and if we get bored of them, we can keep it fresh by swapping out some of the ingredients. Some days we’ll have black beans and vegan cheese, other days we’ll have pinto beans and avocado!
Ingredients for High-Protein Breakfast Tacos
- Just Egg. This vegan egg substitute is made of mung beans and is packed with protein! Each 3 tablespoon (44mL) serving contains 5g. If you would rather make these breakfast tacos with a classic tofu scramble, see the substitutions section below.
- La Banderita Carb Counter Tortillas. I love these tortillas not because I’m avoiding carbs, but because they’re surprisingly high in protein! They come in many sizes, but the soft taco tortillas contain 5g of protein each. There are other brands that offer a similar product. You can also check out the Mission Plant Powered Protein Tortillas, which contain 7g protein each! Personally I prefer the fluffy texture of the La Banderita ones, so I stick with these.
- Baby spinach. I made a rule that I would start including more servings of greens in my day-to-day meals. Baby spinach is an easy one to incorporate, because it’s so easy to wilt down into scrambles, soups, and more. Feel free to substitute in any other veggies you like, such as peppers, onions or mushrooms.
- Black beans. Another great source of plant-based protein that is affordable and nutritious! When I want extra flavor in my tacos, I look for canned Seasoned Black Beans. If I want to mix things up, I also love subbing in Chili Beans (pinto beans in a chili sauce). Feel free to use any of your favorite beans.
- Salsa. One of my favorite condiments when I’m in a season of tracking my macros. I typically do not track salsa or hot sauce because the calories tend to be negligible.
High-Protein Breakfast Tacos
Warm Up the Tortillas and Beans
- The easiest way to do this is to just place your beans directly onto your tortillas and pop it all in the microwave for 30 seconds to a minute. If you don’t have or don’t want to use a microwave you can toast your tortillas in a pan and heat up your beans on the stove in a small pot.
- If you want to add some vegan cheese to these tacos, add that to your tortillas before you put them in the microwave to make sure it gets nice and melty.
Cook the Just Egg and Spinach
- Place a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add in the spinach and cook until wilted. You can add a bit of oil to the pan to cook the spinach if you’re afraid of the spinach sticking to the pan.
- Once the spinach is wilted, pour in the Just Egg and cook until it’s set. Season with salt and pepper.
Finish With Your Favorite Toppings
- Once all of your ingredients are cooked and warmed through, it’s time to assemble the tacos!
- Add your Just Egg and spinach filling to your tortillas and top with sliced avocado and salsa of choice.
- Feel free to add any other toppings in here, as these tacos are fully customizable. Additional toppings you can add are shredded lettuce, fresh tomatoes, a sauce like Chipotle Bitchin’, or finely diced onion.
Meal Prepping High-Protein Vegan Breakfast Tacos
If meal prep is something you’re into, you’re in luck! This recipe is totally meal prep-able. All you need to do is pre-portion out all of your components into food storage containers.
Cook up a few days worth of spinach and Just Egg at one time and then divide it evenly among your containers. Then you can put your beans in along side those things.
When it breakfast rolls around, heat up your Just Egg, spinach, and beans, load it all into your tortillas, and top with your salsa and avocado. Easy peasy!
More High-Protein Vegan Meals
High-Protein Vegan Breakfast Tacos
- 6 tablespoons (88mL) Just Egg
- 1 handful (44g) baby spinach
- 1/2 cup (130g) cooked black beans
- 2 La Banderita Carb Counter Tortillas
- 2 tablespoons salsa of choice
- vegan cheese shreds
- Heat up the black beans and tortillas with your preferred method. Usually I weigh out my beans directly onto my tortillas and then microwave them for about 90 seconds. If you prefer not to use a microwave, you can heat the beans up in a small pot and toast the tortillas in a skillet.
- Add spinach to a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. (You can add 1 teaspoon of oil if you like. Generally I skip the oil because my skillet is very nonstick.)
- Once the spinach is wilted, add in the Just Egg. Season with salt and pepper, and scramble until set.
- Divide the scramble between the two tortillas. Top with avocado if desired, as well as salsa or hot sauce, and enjoy!