- 1 1/2 cups stale bread cut into 1″ cubes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 red onion or 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber chopped
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil chopped
- 1/4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 clove fresh garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Arrange bread cubes on tray and drizzle lightly with oil. Bake for 10 minutes, until just slightly golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Whisk together all ingredients for the dressing.
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, toasted bread, red onion, cucumber, and basil. Pour in the dressing and stir to coat.
- Allow salad to chill in the fridge for about 15-20 minutes so the bread can fully absorb the dressing and the juice from the tomatoes. Give the salad a toss once or twice during this time.