Ingredients for Vegan Feta Chese
- Extra-firm tofu works best in this vegan feta cheese recipe because it will hold its shape when cubed and marinated. You can also use super-firm (high protein) tofu, but it will require more time to marinate because it’s more dense.
- White miso paste adds umami and a salty, slightly funky flavor that’s reminiscent of stinky cheese.
- Hot water helps to dissolve the miso paste and stretch the marinade so there’s enough to coat all the tofu.
- Lemon juice and apple cider vinegar add a sharp tanginess to the tofu feta.
- Olive oil contributes flavor and a rich mouthfeel. It also helps the marinade to coat the tofu.
- Garlic powder and oregano are optional but highly recommended. They boost the savory factor of the recipe and add a hint of Mediterranean flavor.
- Salt is a must because feta cheese is naturally very salty!
How to Make Vegan Feta Cheese
- Cube the tofu. Drain the tofu and chop it into cubes. I typically cut half-inch cubes. Smaller cubes = greater surface area for the marinade to penetrate.
- Press the tofu. Fold the tofu in a clean, lint-free kitchen towel and weigh it down gently with a flat object like a cutting board or baking tray. Pressing out the excess liquid will allow the tofu to better absorb the marinade for the most concentrated flavor.
- Prepare the marinade. First dissolve the miso paste in the hot water, then whisk in the remaining marinade ingredients. Feel free to taste and adjust to your preference: extra lemon juice or ACV if you want it more tart, and extra salt if needed.
- Marinate the tofu. Add the tofu cubes to a sealable container and toss with the marinade until fully coated. Allow it it chill for at least 4 hours, or ideally overnight. Toss the tofu or give the container a shake every few hours to ensure the tofu marinates evenly.
Vegan Feta Cheese (with Tofu)
- 1 12 oz block extra-firm tofu
- ⅓ cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons mellow white miso
- juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Drain tofu and cut into 1/2” cubes. Arrange the tofu cubes on one half of a clean, lint-free kitchen towel. Fold the other half of the towel over the tofu and weigh it down with something flat (such as a cutting board or baking tray). Press the tofu for 30 minutes. This will help it to better absorb the marinade.
- In a sealable container, whisk white miso into hot water until dissolved. Whisk in remaining marinade ingredients. Add cubed tofu and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or, preferably, overnight. If all the tofu isn’t submerged in the marinade, give it a stir or a shake every few hours or so to ensure all the cubes marinate evenly.
- Enjoy! These tofu “feta” cubes are a savory, protein-packed addition to salads, wraps, pasta and more. You can keep the leftover tofu in the marinade for up to 5 days in the fridge; it becomes more and flavorful as it sits.