Vegan Pecan Sticky Buns
For the Dough
- 1 0.25 oz packet dry active yeast
- 1 cup unsweetened plain almond or soy milk lukewarm
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup vegan butter softened
- 4 - 4 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Filling
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- ⅓ cup vegan butter softened
For the Topping
- 1 cup vegan butter melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped raw pecans
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, sprinkle yeast over lukewarm plant milk and allow to sit for 10 minutes to become foamy, or “proof.”
- In the meantime, whisk together flaxseed meal and water and allow to thicken for 10 minutes.
- Once yeast is foamy, add all other ingredients (starting with just 4 cups flouto the bowl of the stand mixer and mix using paddle attachment on medium speed, until all the flour is hydrated and dough starts to come together in a shaggy ball. If dough is extremely wet and sticky, incorporate more bread flour 1 tablespoon at a time until it clears the sides of the bowl when mixed with paddle attachment. (If preparing by hand, combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl first, then add to milk mixture with butter and stir to combine.)
- Switch to dough hook attachment and let the machine knead your dough for 5-8 minutes, until it becomes smooth, springy and elastic, and completely clears the sides of the bowl. (If preparing by hand, knead for 10-12 minutes. Sprinkle work surface with flour as necessary, but try to avoid adding excessive flour as it will make the buns tougher.)
- Pour a little bit of vegetable oil in your bowl and turn dough over to coat. Cover with a clean, damp kitchen rag and set in a warm place to rise for 60-90 minute, or until doubled in size.
- Punch down dough and turn out onto a lightly-floured surface. Roll out into a roughly 18” x 18” rectangle. Spread softened vegan butter evenly over dough and sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll into a log. Cut off the ends to even them out (but save the scraps!) and then slice log into 12 buns with a very sharp knife, or by using dental floss. (Loop the floss around the log and pull each end in opposite directions to cut.)
- Combine melted butter and brown sugar in the bottom of a 9x13” pan and top with pecans. Arrange buns in pan on top of the caramel mixture. Cover and allow to rise for an additional 10-15 minutes as you preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Bake buns in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, until puffy and lightly browned around the edges and high points. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5-8 minutes, then carefully invert the pan onto a tray or serving platter so that the sticky pecan caramel is on top of the buns.