This jackfruit curry is one of my new favorite dishes! It’s flavorful, hearty, full of color and easy to customize. I was inspired to make this after trying out Trader Joe’s Yellow Jackfruit Curry, one of their vegan-friendly frozen meals. It was delicious, but such a small portion! I knew I’d have to make my own big batch at home.
The secret to this dish is to stew the jackfruit for a long time – I simmered it for around 45 minutes. You can cut it back to 30 minutes or so, but the longer the better! If you can get your hands on a nice savory vegetable broth, such as the Better than Bouillon No Beef flavor, or a faux chicken broth, I’d recommend it. The long, slow simmer makes the jackfruit incredibly tender, mellows out the taste of the brine, and imparts a rich savory flavor.
Feel free to use any of your favorite veggies in this curry. Peppers and bamboo shoots are a must for me when making any kind of curry, and I tossed in some squash that I happened to have leftover from another night. I also think zucchini, cabbage, and eggplant would be fantastic additions to this dish.
I prefer to cook this dish stovetop so that I can add my veggies in at different stages; I’ll add the squash first and the peppers only in the last few minutes, so they stay slightly crisp. However, if you don’t mind everything being quite soft, you can even throw all your ingredients into a slow cooker at the start of the day and come home to a delicious curry stew!
Jackfruit Coconut Curry
- 2 20 oz cans young green jackfruit in brine
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1-2 tablespoons yellow curry paste*
- 1 15 oz can coconut milk
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 jalapeño seeded and chopped
- 1 cup butternut squash cubed
- 1 8 oz can bamboo shoots
- green onions to garnish
- Drain and rinse jackfruit. Pour it into a medium saucepan, cover with vegetable broth and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes (the longer the better). Drain.
- Whisk curry paste into the coconut milk in a large pot over medium heat. Add in stewed jackfruit and mash roughly. Add squash and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. (Add in a bit of extra water if you prefer a soupier curry.) Add in peppers and bamboo shoots and cook for an additional 5-8 minutes.
- Serve with rice and garnish with green onions. Enjoy!