Vegan Pumpkin Gnocchi
For the Pumpkin Gnocchi
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 medium potatoes baked or boiled with skin on
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/4 cup fresh sage leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- salt, to taste
- vegan parmesan shreds (optional, to garnish)
Make the Pumpkin Gnocchi
- While baked potato is still hot, peel off skin and mash (or pass through a potato ricer). Allow to cool to room temperature, then measure out 1 cup of mashed potato mixture for this recipe.
- Turn out onto a lightly-floured surface and knead for 30 seconds to a minute. Avoid over-kneading. Dough should be soft and slightly sticky; resist the temptation to add too much extra flour while kneading.
- Divide dough into several pieces and roll each into a rope about 1/2″ in diameter. Lightly dust work surface with flour if needed.
- Cut ropes into 1/2″ pieces. (Optional: Roll gnocchi along a fork, or press with your thumb to create a pocket for your sauce.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add a generous pinch of salt. Add gnocchi and stir to prevent them from sticking. Boil until gnocchi float to the top of the water, and then for an additional 30 seconds. Drain gnocchi, reserving some of the cooking water for the sauce.
Simple Butter Sage Sauce
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, melt vegan butter. Fry sage for 30 seconds to 1 minute and remove to a paper towel to crisp up further.
- Add minced garlic and red pepper flakes to butter and sautée until aromatic. Stir in gnocchi. Add a splash of reserved pasta water as needed to create a velvety sauce. Taste and add salt to preference.
- Serve sprinkled with crispy sage and vegan parmesan, if desired.
If scaling the recipe, cook gnocchi in batches to prevent the water from cooling down too much when you add the gnocchi.
Did you make this recipe?We’d love for you to leave a review on the website! You can also share a photo on IG and tag @SarahsVeganKitchen_ or #sarahsvegankitchen.