The Best Beefy Vegan Chili
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small red bell pepper diced
- 1 small green bell pepper diced
- 1 15 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes (fire-roasted work great here!)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 bag beef-style vegan crumbles such as Gardein or Beyond Meat
- 2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce chopped ***
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté onions, peppers and garlic in a heavy-bottomed stockpot over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes, until fragrant. Add all remaining ingredients. (See note on adobo peppers.)
- Stir in a little bit of water (I usually add 1-2 can's worth of extra water), depending on how thick you like your chili. (Add less than you think you need; the veggies will release a good amount of moisture when cooked.)
- Bring pot to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Then, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and allow to simmer for *at least* 30-45 minutes, until veggies are tender. If you have the time, simmer for a few hours for the best flavor.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and stir in extra water if necessary before serving.
- Add all ingredients to a slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.